Participant Decision Making and Choice
|CDMC/1.1||Participant Decision Making and Choice|
Beyond My Label is committed to empowering Participants to play an active role in decisions that affect their lives and to make choices for themselves:
Beyond My Label will:
- inform Participants about the opportunities for choice available to them
- support Participants to make informed choices which will provide them opportunities
- keep records of Participant preferences regarding their service
- enable Participants to build self-reliance and maintain social inclusion.
|Record of policy development|
|Version||Date approved||Date for review|
|Responsibilities and delegations|
|This policy applies to||Owner/founder, /staff and volunteers|
|Policy context – this policy relates to:|
|Standards||NDIS Practice Standards. National Disability Insurance Scheme (Quality Indicators) Guidelines 2018.|
|Legislation||Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992, Mental Health Act, 2016. NDIS Act 2013.|
|Forms, record keeping, other documents|
Information in appropriate formats about the opportunities for Participant choice will be provided to Participants at each major service point from intake to end of service. If Participants have literacy or communication issues, then every effort should be made to ensure they understand their rights and opportunities in making decisions regarding services. The information is available in the following documents:
- Diversity and Cultural Inclusion
- ParticipantRights and Service Charter
- Positive Behaviour Support
- Participant Feedback Survey
Support to make choices
Participants will have the opportunity to make choices about their service in the following ways:
- service delivery access -types of service available, the days and times a service can be accessed, frequency of attendance, the location, how the service is provided to ensure that it meets individual needs (particularly in terms of physical, cultural or communication needs).
- individual service planning -expressing preferences for the level or intensity of service, which other services are involved, the ways that personal goals will be achieved, how progress reviews are conducted, and decisions about changes or exiting the service.
Beyond My Label actively supports service users to make choices in the way they use services:
- strategies include assisting and enabling clients to make informed choices; this may include follow-up on written information and specific assistance to clients who may experience cultural or language barriers, or who may need specialised advocacy or support to take full advantage of the opportunities, and providing information in a range of mediums: written, pictorial, verbal.
Beyond My Label documents all input from clients regarding their service preferences. This is recorded on client files and client feedback surveys.
End of document